Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 20:12:45 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   press release

   FYI, my press release about wcarchive/Micron went out nationally via
PRNewswire at 8:49pm EDT. I've already seen it show up at Fidelity Investments
for news about Micron Electronics. Cool stuff.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com

MICRON ELECTRONICS NETFRAME CHOSEN FOR INTERNET'S BUSIEST SITE

San Francisco, CA., May 3, 1999  Walnut Creek CDROM, Inc. and Micron
Electronics, Inc. announced today that Walnut Creek CDROM has chosen the
Micron NetFRAME 9201 as the next-generation server platform for their
hugely popular FTP archive at ftp.cdrom.com.

"It's one of a very few Intel-architecture machines with the capability
to handle our exceptionally high traffic loads", said David Greenman, Walnut
Creek's Systems Manager. "We're very impressed with both the machine's
performance and future expansion capabilities. With its 500MHz Intel
Pentium-III Xeon CPU, 64bit PCI bus and high speed memory system, combined
with the ultra high performance of the FreeBSD Operating System software,
we're able to take full advantage of the upcoming gigabit ethernet
connection to the Internet backbone."

During its first full day of operation, the new NetFRAME 9201 server set
a new all-time one day download record of 969GB of files, surpassing the
previous record set last year of 873GB/day.

Walnut Creek CDROM was founded in 1991 by its current president and owner,
Mr. Robert Bruce. Since the beginning, Walnut Creek CDROM has maintained a
philosophy of creating superior quality CDROM software products at a
reasonable price to the consumer. The company is also the premier CDROM
supplier of the popular FreeBSD and Slackware Linux Operating Systems.
Walnut Creek CDROM provides these and a vast collection of other software
free of charge to Internet users on its FTP site at ftp://ftp.cdrom.com.
With more than 250,000 visitors a day that download nearly 1 terabyte
(1000 gigabytes) of files, ftp.cdrom.com is widely known as the world's
most popular public FTP software archive. For more information about Walnut
Creek CDROM and its products, the company can be contacted at (800) 786-9907
(U.S. toll-free), (925) 674-0783 (international), by fax at (925) 674-0821,
or by visiting their web site at http://www.cdrom.com.

Micron Electronics, Inc. (Nasdaq: MUEI), a recognized industry leader and
direct vendor known for its award-winning products and services, develops,
manufactures and markets high-performance, competitively priced computing
solutions to consumers, small businesses, commercial and public sector buyers.
Its superior customer service and tollfree technical support is available to
customers 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Micron offers value and
convenience through direct sales via the Internet (www.micronpc.com), by
phone 800-249-1179 or by fax 208-893-7240.