Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 18:59:46 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG, Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Proposal to include iconv library in the base system.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 05:39:39PM +0700, Boris Popov wrote:
> FreeBSD already contains a few character conversion schemes for
> msdosfs, nwfs, cd9660fs and syscon mapping tables.  However, the usage

We need XLAT converters for them, not Unicode one, as I understand Unicode
data loaded into kernel will be too big.

> The questionable part is a which set of character sets should be
> included in the base system and which should be supplied as packages.

We need to include all charsets we have locale support in the base system.

> Secondly, where should the functions be placed? Initially, the iconv

/usr/libdata/iconv

What I am not understand at this moment: how iconv handles non-convertable
characters? I don't see any way to set fill character in described
interface.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>