Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 22:34:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      "nate" <freebsd@aphroland.org>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW & Snort

Brian McCann said:
> Simple question for you all...but it evades me.  I'm trying to setup a box
> that will monitor a network, but be totally invisible to that
> network, but it needs an IP since it will be using some programs like
> BigBrother and whatnot.  So...my question is...if I use IPFW to block, for
> example, all ports and effectively totally blocking TCP/IP, will Snort
> still be able to capture TCP/IP packets?  Has anyone tried/done this?

I reccomend just using 3 NIC interfaces. run 2 of em in bridged mode,
e.g. my home network is protected by a freebsd box running 4 NICs, 1
management(inside internal firewall), NICs 2 and 3 are bridging, NIC 2
is the firewall, NIC 3 is snort, NIC 4 is not being used. this way since
all traffic goes accross 2 interfaces I can run snort on the "internal"
one so it has no chance of detecting what is dropped on the "external"
one. then behind that machine I have another machine doing the NAT.

works great.

nate