Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:49:32 +0000
From:      Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk quota overriding

Hi

> There is a way to overflow / filesystem even is quota is enabled.
>
> Just make many hard links (for example /bin/sh) to /tmp/
>
> for ($q=0;$q<100000;$q++){
> system ("ln /bin/sh /tmp/ln$q");
> }
>
> Because /tmp directory usually owned by root that why quotas has no effect.
> *Directory* size of /tmp can be grown up to available space on / filesystem.
>
> Any way to fix it?

Haven't tested this, but are you sure it fills the filesystem up -
all a hard link is, is a file with the same inode as the
original file (correct me if I'm wrong) - therefore it
doesn't actually use any space other than that required
to store the file entry.

--
Regards,

Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>