Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 14:51:06 +1000
From:      Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_3 calls itself -RELEASE?

Hmmm...

Well this topic has sure caused a lot of mail, figured it was time I
added my 2c worth :)

I dont really care what its called, leave it as release if you want,
but one idea hit me as a good one out of all the spammage... And thats
having the name reflect what kernel patch level you have... Sure userland
patch levels would have to be recorded some place else, but it makes
sense to have the uname reflect what kernel patchs have been installed...
Just change it to RELEASE_p1 _p2 etc. or something like that...

I dont know what all the fuss is about though, it never occoured to me
that a security patch branch for release should have a different name...
But I do like this idea :)