Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:42:25 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: computer without a monitor

Rick Knebel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What I want to accomplish is to have my old Pentium 120 with freebsd
> 4.0 be the server and route to the internet for my other three
> computers in the house.
> I do not want to have a seperate monitor, keyboard and mouse
> associated with this computer.
>
> Any idea's on the best way to accomplish this.
>
> I realize that I would have to have these things attached to set it
> up, but after that I just want the server to run without the monitor
> attached.

I used a kvm switch to get around this problem. Some switches are
brain_dead when it comes to the 3rd button. The mouse needs to be the
same type on all of the computers hooked to the switch, i.e., no ps/2
on one and a serial mouse on the other.

> I guess the problem happens when i need to do maintenence.

You don't have problems with the switch but I gather it is hard to
debug the kernel from a serial line.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart