Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2018 05:55:25 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        Dieter BSD <dieterbsd@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, linimon@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PRs are being closed for bogus reasons :-(

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 05:19:15PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Not every PR describes real problem. What is exact PR number you
> are referring to?

There were several in 'Base System'/'amd64' that described boot
and install problems during the FreeBSD 8/9/10 timeframes, and
did seem like they were (or at least had been) legitimate problems.

My personal feeling is that if such things don't get addressed
within a release timeframe, it's likely that either a) the problem
was fixed later or b) the submitter gave up and went on to some
other hardware or even OS.

Obviously this was not Dieter BSD's experience.

I'm sorry about that but I am not personally in a position to work
through all the e.g. boot/install problems that come in.  The
number is so overwhelming that they rarely get handled in a timely
fashion (the "trying to drink from a firehose" problem).

Referring people to the forums, or IRC, for such things seems a
little unsatisfying as well.

I also apologize for the boilerplate response, which several people
just found rude.  Let's see if we can come up with a better one.

tl:dr; there are too many PRs.

mcl