Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:56:13 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Fenix <fenix@xs4some.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail vs. postfix question

Fenix (fenix@xs4some.net) wrote:

> I have a little question about sendmail vs. postfix ....
> Are there any known recent problms with sendmail security ?
> what about postfix ?

Sendmail is a large, monolithic, complicated program that runs as
root. Historically, it has been responsible for some of the most
notorious and widespread security holes on the Internet, but I
don't believe there are any (known) gaping holes in it today.
Sendmail configuration is complicated and arcane -- it is the
subject of one of the thickest books in the O'Reilly catalog.
Actually, configuring sendmail is not that bad once you understand
it -- you edit a human-readable config file which is processed by
the m4 macro processor to build the much less human-readable
sendmail.cf file. However, if you are like I am, and infrequently
make configuration changes to your mail server, it may take more than a
few minutes of grepping documentation to make even a tiny change.

Postfix has a different architecture, but strictly conforms to the
'sendmail api'. That is to say that Postfix is more or less designed
to be a drop-in replacement for Sendmail. Postfix is actually
several small, specialized daemons that do not run as root (!),
which has some positive security implications. Configuration of
Postfix is very easy; there is no m4 macro processing here! I have
always been able to make it do what I need it to do, although my
needs aren't very great. According to my ISP (visi.com), Postfix
outperforms Sendmail.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com