Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2021 12:41:51 -0700
From:      Fred Finster via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   HDMI audio support on Raspberry Pi 4B, Realtek rtl8192eu if_rtwn_usb driver broken

--------------DF954A31E6903EFE3930F236

2 areas I need help;  1.)  Raspberry Pi 4B HDMI audio

                                    2.)  Software correction of broken
wifi device driver for Realtek chip RTL8192eu

I get that "Free"BSD does not wish to use binary blobs that Broadcom may
offer for use in the BCM2711 rev B or rev C chip.  So could someone
inform or point me to relevant documentation, or work that someone else
has put effort into.  I will look more over at raspberrypi.org   I do
thank you for the operation of USB audio (my USB headphones sound great)
on the raspiberry pi 4B with 8 gigs dram from the FreeBSD 14.0 CURRENT
October 14, 2021 version.

wget
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20211014-04c91ac48ad-250051.img.xz
<https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20211014-04c91ac48ad-250051.img.xz>;

I would like to get HDMI audio to work on the Monitor Screen / TV I am
using.  I understand it has to go through a  Broadcom HDMI chip as a
data stream and therefore has no documentation released by Broadcom.

FreeBSD raspberry PI 4, 8G sound through HDMI. Is this possible? July
16, 2021 RaspberryPi forum question
<https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=315903>;

Lots of Raspberry Pi 3 Linux and KODI information with photos
<https://cromwell-intl.com/open-source/kodi/>;

NetBSD evbarm Raspberry Pi information
<https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/>;

Gawen Blog, FreeBSD on RaspberryPi
<https://hauweele.net/~gawen/blog/?p=2590>;

on Reddit; Raspberry Pi 4 - No (HDMI) Audio
<https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/jo4yar/raspberry_pi_4_no_hdmi_audio/>;

Reddit: Whats your experience running FreeBSD on raspberry Pi
<https://www.reddit.com/r/freebsd/comments/mpnyck/whats_your_experience_with_freebsd_running_on/>;

I wish to mention here that the  Realtek rtl8192eu if_rtwn_usb driver
broken,  probably in the Chip_power_down function.  I have tested with
Raspberry Pi 4B and freebsdsrc/sys/dev/rtwn/rtl8192ewith x86_64 computer
running FreeBSD 13.0.   They can scan and list wifi access points, yet
they can not connect to that access point.

This data on x86 laptop confirms broken source code in file
if_rtwn_usb.ko running on x86_64 FreeBSD 13.0.  Therfore not a specific
to aarch64 raspberr pi 4B compilation.  It's the source code .c ; .h
files. for chipset power down connection.

   idVendor = 0x2357
   idProduct = 0x0109