Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 14:02:39 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Illustrated Installation Guide

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 12:31:11PM -0400, Randy Pratt wrote:
> I finished the first pass of the installation guide in sgml format. Since=
=20
> this is my first attempt, I'm sure there's still work that needs to be do=
ne=20
> (sgml and content).
>=20
> I've no objections to any adding/cutting/editing to make the documents be=
tter=20
> or more general.  I'd like Nik to decide how to best proceed with handlin=
g=20
> the committing/revisions.  I'm a little fuzzy on those details.

Some bullet points as they occur.

 * <mantra>commit content changes and whitespace changes
   separately</mantra>

 * It's probably worth breaking this down in to chapter.sgml files before
   import.

 * If we can, I'd like to get as many of the .png images converted to
   the .scr format instead as possible -- otherwise we'll be bloating=20
   the repo with the PNG images unecessarily.

 * In the "Documentation" section, does it need to include the
   documentation that's with the installer verbatim, or is it just
   sufficient to show the user that it's there?  Including it verbatim
   adds to the work required to maintain this between releases.

 * s/cdrom/CDROM/ everywhere

 * I can't shake the nagging feeling that this should be in the
   Handbook, maybe with a slight reorganisation. . .

   Bring chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 together as sections in a chapter,=20
   "Before you install".

   Chapters 7 through 13 become sections in a "Carrying out the install"
   chapter.

   Chapters 14 onwards become sections in a "Post-installation" chapter.

   Maybe.

   Or perhaps we need an "Installation" <part> in the Handbook (as we
   have "Getting Started", "System Administration", "Network
   Communications" and other parts) which this could be the content of.

 * There are a couple of mini mark-up nits, but nothing major.

I don't think any of these should be considered 'show stoppers' though.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve             http://www.freebsd.org/
FreeBSD Documentation Project           http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/

          --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv

--ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv--