Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:50:06 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        <anthonyabby@mail.aplusdata.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Passive FTP not working on FreeBSD 4.6.2 (Ports)

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:10:39 -0400
"Anthony Abby" <anthonyabby@mail.aplusdata.com> wrote:

> >You need to set ${FTP_PASSIVE_MODE} in your shell's environment.  Set
> >it to anything other than "NO".  You can either do this from your
> >shell dotfiles, or you can modify the setenv directive in
> >/etc/login.conf, so the change is available to all users who log in.
> >Add this to the setenv line:
> >
> >   ,FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=YES
> >
> >Make sure the line ends in :\ or it will break.  (The "\" must be the
> >last character on the line).  Save your changes, then do
> >

> I just checked and it's already set to YES, and the line ends in ":\"
> too.  I am not running ipfw, so this is getting more bewildering as I
> go along.  I instaleld BSD at home exactly how I installed it here at
> work.  Ports (and ftp) works from home, but does not here at work!!

Try to launch ftp with the -d switch.  This simply prints out the FTP
clients requests and servers FTP responses.  It can be useful in
determining at which stage the problem is occuring.  For example,
`ftp -d ftp.freebsd.org`.
Also, try launching a protocol ananlyzer like ethereal (its in the ports
collection) to see what is going on.  Launch ethereal and capture the
Windows FTP session, then capture the FreeBSD FTP session.  What is the
difference?  In PASSIVE mode, what port number does the Windows client
request?  What port number does the FreeBSD client request.  Is it
possible that your firewall is blocking the high port number range that
FreeBSD uses by default in PASSIVE mode, but not the high port number
range that the Windows is using?

Nathan