Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 16:27:29 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 errors

On Nov 3,  3:29pm, Charles Henrich wrote:
} On the subject of Re: de0 errors, Don Lewis stated:
}
} > A PCI bus analyzer could be useful if the problem is what I think it is.
} > What processor and PCI chipset do you have?
}
} This is an ALR Revolution MP-Pro system w/ 1 200Mhz PPro, 256MB Ram, 4 SCSI
} Cards, a Video card, and a SMC Etherpower 10/100 Card.  Its an Intel 440FX
} chipset..

Bingo!  I believe that a 21140 based NIC is bad juju in a system with a
440FX based system because the 21140 can only do plain PCI memory reads
(MR) and you really need to use PCI read multiple commands (MRM) to get
decent throughput with this chipset, and probably any other Pentium Pro
or Pentium II chipset.  A 21140A based NIC should work much better since
it can use the MRM command.

} > > Just using FTP between two hosts on the 100mbit net I see 2-3MB/sec and
} > > receive at about half that.
} >
} > That's not very impressive.  To eliminate the influence of disk I/O, you
} > might want to test network throughput using ttcp or something similar.  I'd
} > recommend using ping to check for packet loss at the same time.  You
} > shouldn't see any packet loss if you're sending between two machines on the
} > same network segment.
} >
}
} Humm, tcpblast shows 4.0MB/sec.  Granted this isnt an empty net either, fairly
} busy I would imagine.

That's probably a reasonable number for a 10Mb network, but not a
100Mb network.  BTW, I bet this NIC is also hurting your disk I/O
throughput since it is hogging the PCI bus because it's using an
inefficient transfer method.

			---  Truck