Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 21:42:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        rendhalver@users.sourceforge.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new cvs based port idea

Peter Brown wrote:

> i have been toying with the idea of writing a port for mozilla using
> cvs to get the source instead od having to download the 25+ meg bzip
> on each upgrade.
>
> having to download a 25+ meg file for mozilla each time is begining to
> annoy me, especially when a cvs version would make it quicker.
>
> the idea i had is as follows
>
> rewrite the port so that it does a cvs -z3 update -r "RELEASE_TAG"
> when the version changes.

a better idea would be to ask them to generate incremental diffs from
version to version as X11 does for years. so, you just have to download
a -release and the successive patches as needed... and avoid to download
the big one archive every time.

for example :

ftp ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.5/src/
-> mozilla-source-0.9.5.tar.bz2
ftp ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.9.5/patches/
-> 0.9.1-0.9.5.diff.bz2
-> 0.9.2-0.9.5.diff.bz2
-> 0.9.3-0.9.5.diff.bz2
-> 0.9.4-0.9.5.diff.bz2

this is based on ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.1.0/{source,patches}/

the question is, how to handle this in port Makefiles ?
where `this' has the meaning of :
if I have mozilla-source-0.9.1.tar.bz2, no need to download
mozilla-source-0.9.5.tar.bz2, I have just to download
0.9.1-0.9.5.diff.bz2 and to apply this patch to the current tree.

how about to implement this in the current XFree86-4 port ;^)

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net