Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:24:57 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on FreeBSD 5.2.1

--nextPart1183746.0xYKexpAmU

On Friday 15 October 2004 15:19, Sean Preston wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry to have to ask this.  I have done a number of searches and tried to
> figure this out but having some problems.  I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 and
> would like to use pf with the traffic shaping stuff (altq I think) and
> everything I read says it is a part of the base from 5.2 upwards.=20

Where do you get that information from? ALTQ was imported June 12th 2004 in=
to=20
=46reeBSD. This is quite some time after the 5.2(.1) release was cut.

> What do I need to do to install it on my system because I don't seem to h=
ave=20
> it as part of my base system.

You need patches from rofug.ro which are outdated and you have to compile t=
he=20
pf port with special options etc. etc. ... All in all nothing you want to b=
e=20
near. I urge - once again - that everybody who is considering pf in=20
productive use should move to RELENG_5 and get everything out of the box an=
d=20
in way better shape than possible in 5.2.1 + port (+ altq patches ...)

> Currently my supfile uses RELENG_5_2 as the tag is this the problem?  IF =
so
> what should I be using.  The other thing is how stable is it as I want to
> use the system in a production environment.

Don't go near it. Though it will work and is in productive use on quite a f=
ew=20
big sites, I suggest everybody who wants to build a productive pf(+altq)=20
system today to check out 5.3R ... the BETA releases are already much highe=
r=20
quality than the 5.2.1 (technologie demo) release. There are some pending=20
issues, but chances are that you will never hit them - while the chance for=
=20
hitting something bad in 5.2.1 + pf-port + altq-patches is *way* bigger!

=2D-=20