Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:35:26 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Don Wilde <don@silver-lynx.com>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Books on FreeBSD and local libraries

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 10:10:10AM -0700, Robert Clark wrote:

> There are often people who are paid to buy books.
>
> I would imagine that they might resent outsiders
> determining what is in the library's collection.

The libraries that I am familiar with express their resentment
by providing outsiders (whom they call "patrons") with little cards
or even online forms on which to specify their requests.

While you might expect them to use these cards to start a bonfire
or similar festivity, I have found that they instead use them as an
indication of what books they might want to buy, and sometimes even
notify the "outsider" when the volume has been added to the collection.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey