Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:43:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dougb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        svn-src-head@FreeBSD.org, svn-src-all@FreeBSD.org, src-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE in GENERIC

In message: <4B4D109A.5060500@FreeBSD.org>
            Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On 1/10/2010 8:02 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <alpine.BSF.2.00.1001110348100.92627@serrsnyy.serrofq.bet>
: >             Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : On Sun, 10 Jan 2010, Warner Losh wrote:
: > :
: > : > Author: imp
: > : > Date: Sun Jan 10 17:44:22 2010
: > : > New Revision: 202019
: > : > URL: http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/202019
: > : >
: > : > Log:
: > : >  Add INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE in GENERIC on all non-embedded platforms.
: > :
: > : Thanks for doing this, however the comment about how to include the
: > : whole file (including the comments) were not included. Do I need to do
: > : this part of it myself? No problem if so, I just want to be sure to
: > : get it done in time to MFC it before the freeze for 7.3-release.
: >
: > In general, we don't put big comments like that in the config files,
: > preferring to leave them to NOTES.  I was just following that
: > convention...
:
: Understood, however given that there is plenty of room for confusion on
: this point because the default is NOT to include the comments I think
: that some explanation is justified. My original text was:
:
: # Store the plain version of the configuration file in the kernel itself.
: # To store the entire file, including comments, put this in /etc/src.conf:
: # CONFIGARGS=	-C
: # See config(8) for more details.
:
: I'm open to suggestions on shrinking it, but I do think some sort of
: explanation is warranted.

I'm not sure I see where there's confusion possible here, let alone
plenty of room for it.  Do you think you can describe what confusion
is possible here?

Warner