Date:      17 Jan 2001 16:21:50 -0800
From:      david@metalogik.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   apm, apmd ... please help

i have FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE installed on my Dell Inspiron 8000.

i am having trouble with power management.

i recompiled my kernel and uncommented the 'device apm0...' line in the kernel config file, and also removed the word 'disable'.  also i have PSM_HOOKRESUME, PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND, and PCIC_RESUME_RESET set.

i put  'apm_enable="YES"' and 'apmd_enable="YES"' in my /etc/rc.conf file.

ls /dev/apm* shows:
/dev/apm    /dev/apmctl

on boot up i get:
apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2

when i boot up, ps ax | grep apm shows that apmd is running.  if i run apm from the command line i get a nice status display with what appears to be correct info.  a call to 'apm -z'  puts the laptop to sleep, but i cannot seem to wake it up after that.

closing the lid of the laptop while the ac adapter is removed causes the APM BIOS to request a suspend state for the laptop.  when the lid gets closed, the laptop happily goes to sleep.  when i open the lid, the system starts up again but i get an infinite printing of 'fxp0: SCB timeout' ....it goes on forever and no other functions on the machine work.  i inspect my /var/log/messages and see no error messages regarding apm.  im not sure if the usb mouse is getting awakened properly as the print out locks out the mouse and keyboard.   my network card is built in to my laptop (uses fxp device, intel etherexpress 10/100/100+).

any ideas as to what is going on here?  what does that SCB timeout thing mean.  it woudl appear to me that what is happening is that the reset message is not getting sent to the devices properly on wakeup...but i am not very familiar with freebsd apm.

any help is greatly appreciated.

please CC replies to david@metalogik.com   (i am not sub'd to freebsd-questions)

thanks.

cheers,