Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 16:30:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fix for amanda chg-chio script to eject tape

I've created an update on the script based on the discussions here.
Added a flag forceeject to amanda.conf.

Anyone wanting to play with the script can pick it up at the following
location:

	http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/amanda/chg-chio.pl.in

One remark: do not use the script in an operational environment yet. It
has not been tested at all yet. And remember: If things break, you get
to keep the pieces.

Cheers,

Nick

On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Charles Owens wrote:

 > In order to get chg-chio from amanda 2.4.1p1 to work happily under
 > FreeBSD-3_stable I had to add a few statements to the Unload subroutine to
 > eject the tape prior to calling the chio command to move it back to its slot.
 >
 > Did the ch(4) driver used to handle the tape ejection step itself?  If not,
 > then I'm not sure I understand how the chio-script ever worked, since
 > _somehow_ the st/sa tape driver needs to be told to release the tape before
 > the changer can play with it.
 >
 > If this is true (that the ch(4) driver used to, but no longer does, handle
 > the eject step) then the chio-chg as present in the amanda distribution
 > probably should be patched... or at least the FreeBSD amanda port should
 > include the patch to be applied at build time.
 >
 > Here's the diff to chg-chio:
 >
 > 240a241,244
 > >       system ("/usr/bin/mt -f $tapeDevice rew");
 > >       system ("/usr/bin/mt -f $tapeDevice offl");
 > >       sleep(1);
 > >

 > I'm not sure if the sleep or separate rewind and offl steps are needed, just
 > thought I'd be careful.
 >
 > Thoughts?
 > ---
 >   Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
 >                                              http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
 >   Network & Systems Administrator
 >   Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
 >   Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
 >                                    too dark to read." - Groucho Marx

ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy