Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:38:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: How to create another account with root privileges ?

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Bob Johnson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 October 2002 09:02 pm, Pranav A. Desai appears to have written:
> > Hi! I have been asked to create admin accounts for a machine such that
> > all of them can access that machine as root but with different
> > username and password.
>
> In many environments, this is reasonable.  Sometimes you have
> more than one person who is must have full administrative rights,
> unless you plan to have your one administrator be on 24/7 call.  It is
> good policy to prohibit anyone, even administrators, from sharing
> accounts, so you give each admin their own account.  Of course, if
> they only need limited admin rights, then sudo is probably a better
> solution.  Talk to your customer and find out what they are really trying
> to accomplish.

man su

> The "toor" account is an example of exactly what you want, although
> by default it is disabled (by an invalid password field).  To create a
> similar account, use "vipw" to edit the password file.  Copy the root entry,
> but give each person their own name and the shell of their choice (the
> shell must be in /etc/shells).

What -is- that toor (root backwards) account for anyways??

Is there a command similar to vipw that uses a simpler editor, like pico?

> Leave everything else the same as for root.  If you copy the password
> field from the root account, then the new admin account will have the
> same password, which should be changed by the user of the account.
> Also, never change the shell for root.  It needs to be as it is for some
> things to work right.  That's why the toor account exists: so you can
> set up an admin account with your choice of shell.

I always log in 100% of the time to my box as root and my shell is tcsh

Does it matter that (I think) I changed the shell for root?

> The big disadvantage of this is that if you have three admin accounts,
> an attacker has three times greater chance of cracking the root
> password if they get their hands on your password file.  Stress to the
> admins that it is critical that they use strong passwords on the admin
> accounts.  A good way to create a strong password is to come up
> with a sentence of 8 or more words known only to yourself (i.e. NOT
> a well known phrase), and take the first letter of each word to form an
> acronym.  Throw in some strange capitalization and a few special
> characters for best effect.  For example, the phrase might be
> "my mother dances with bears (in the moonlight)", which gives me a
> password of "mMdwb(itm)".  If the phrase used is widely known, this
> method becomes as easy to crack as single words of the same length,
> but if you use unique phrases the resulting passwords are very good.

Good point about crackers and their having three times the power!

> Sure, the admins can do bad things and cover their tracks if they put
> enough effort into it, but they can do that if they share a single admin
> account, also. Hope that helps.
> - Bob
> > Thanks -pranav
> > Pranav A. Desai - Home :- (937) 294 1381

> > > Short answer: you probably don't really want to do this.  What
> > > problem are you needing to solve by having multiple root accounts?
> > > Kirk Strauser
> > > In Googlis non est, ergo non est.

Google doesn't have new pages saved and served up 1 second ago, nor does it
have unique pages that a cgi script create(d/s).

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder