Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:55:32 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com, "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, drifter@stratos.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 28,  6:33pm, Josef Grosch wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> On Sun, Jun 28, 1998 at 03:27:43PM +0000, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> >
> > >	based upon reading madison, jefferson and other FF's (founding
> > >	fathers), the second amendment to the constitution was enacted
> > >	in order to guarantee the citizentry's ability to oppose
> > >	a tyrannical government, and thereby prevent that government
> > >	from forming.
> >
> > Fair.
> >
> > >	ownership  of small arms is insufficient for the task.
> > >	if one embraces the purpose of the second amendment, rather
> > >	then just the language, we must allow the citizentry to own
> > >	heavy weapons.  no one that i know of advocates this.
> >
> > I feel that a rag tag militia that has heart and the support of the
> > population is incredibly difficult to defeat. I have heard commanders of
> > the South East Asian theater make this statement.
> >
> > I feel that an auto loading rifle is sufficient for the purpose of
> > opposing tyranny. This is a personal opinion.
> >

> [ DELETED ]
>
> I'm not convinced. I think that people who have this vision of a rag tag
> militia fighting against overwhelming odds have seen Red Dawn and John
> Wayne movies too many times. Remember that Mohandas K. Gandhi and
> Dr. Martin Luther King using only nonviolent non-cooperation had a major
> impact on their respective political situation. Anyone who is my age or
> older and can remember the evil that was Selma and Montgomery can tell you
> what a powerful tool that nonviolent non-cooperation is.
>
> I must confess, however, that as a Jew who is lost several relatives during
> the holocaust, I do have trouble squaring Dr. King's and Gandhi's methods
> with the evil that was Nazis Germany.
>

> Josef
>
> --
> Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.7
> jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses
>-- End of excerpt from Josef Grosch

Josef,

There are times when brute force is required.  It was required in Selma and
Montgomery, where federal troups were poised to move in and settle the
situation, and insure that equal rights were enforced.

I won't speak about Nazi Germany, because the German people have suffered nuch
as a result of a very bad situation.  However, you have my sympathy.

Frank