Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 21:40:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>
To:        Travis Leuthauser <travis@winconx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple NIC's

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Travis Leuthauser wrote:

> I am in the process of building a high volume news server.  One NIC will be
> used for our incoming news feed, one for our users to read from, and
> ultimately I will add a third which will be used to feed other news servers.

Are these on seperate network segments?  Any reasonable NIC will saturate
a 100 Mbit ethernet these days, so there's no real performance penalty for
using one card for all three functions if they're on the same wire.

If they are seperate segments, the more common way to use NIC's is to put
them on seperate networks by subnetting.

If you're using INN I can't believe you'd be saturating one card, let
alone two, with anything like a normal PC.  There are just way too many
disk IO's to handle that much network traffic.

Out of curiosity, because I'm always looking for a better nnrp server,
what are you using for news software?  Not that this has anything to do
with the arp errors.

Back to your original message:

> /kernel: arp:  xxx.xxx.xxx.12 is on lo0 but got reply from (MAC address
> of xl0) on xl1
> /kernel: arp:  xxx.xxx.xxx.32 is on xl0 but got reply from
> (MAC address of win. 98 box @ .32) on xl1

> Should I configure the second NIC with a /32 subnet add just add an
> explicit route?

The problem is that freebsd is going to expect the NIC's to be on seperate
networks, and to see packets from a particular network only coming in that
specific card.  So if both cards are on the same network, and it sound
like they're on the same ethenet segment, you're going to get these.  If
it's working you can probably learn to ignore the messages, but I'd just
go with a single card unless all the boxes you described are on different
networks.  Then I'd subnet the network so as to isolate traffic properly.

--- David