Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:29:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, (Christopher Petrilli) <petrilli@amber.org>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: VPN for FreeBSD 2.2.8 and 3.2

Brian Somers wrote:
> jkh@zippy.cdrom.com said:
>> Bay Area region.  We've already talked to our lawyer, he said it
>> looked legit to him, and so we've been shipping crypto on our CDs for
>> over a year now.  I even announced it back then, to almost no audience
>> reaction whatsoever.  It seems that people like to get more excited
>> about the prospect of something being closed than it being opened up.
>> :)
>
> Shouldn't etc/cvsup/ (from the cvsup-mirror port) be updated to
> reflect this ?  I believe a lot of people don't know about the lack
> of restrictions in SF, and the fact that cvsup-mirror gets the crypto
> stuff from South Africa doesn't exactly drive the point home :-]

No, I don't think that change should be made.  It could put the
individual mirror sites at legal risk.  It's one thing for Walnut
Creek CD-ROM to decide to assume that risk themselves; quite another
thing to make it the default that would affect all the mirror sites.
If somebody in Europe fetches the crypto stuff from a mirror in, say,
Massachusetts, it's being exported from Massachusetts, not from the SF
Bay Area where it is supposedly OK.

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron