Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 08:51:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which Modem PC Card? (was Re: Status:  TP560)

> I tried pricing PCMCIA modem cards and found them to range from $115 US
> to nearly $200 for a 28.8/33.3 class card (not 56Kflex/X2 style).  Does
> anyone have any suggestions to offer as to which manufacturer and within
> a manufacturer which model number is the most cost effective modem card
> that is reliable (i.e., works) in a laptop setting?  Thanks in advance.

I will only say that we bought USR Sportster's, since all of our modems
are external Sportsters, and we've had no problems whatsoever.  I went
with the non-56K models, and save quite a few bucks.

However, they are probably not the cheapest, but they do work pretty
well when connecting to another Sportster, and we've had good luck
connecting to anything else we've found.

Nate