Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:29:42 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Joseh Martins <joseh.martins@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd bad routing

Joseh Martins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Freebsd server and some bad routes are been showed to me.
>
> Well, I didnt configured any routing protocols ...
>
> With the command "netstat -r" I got a lot of routes with "UGHD" flags.
> I just need the default route (gateway).
>
> With the command "netstat -rs" I got this message:
> "127 bad routing redirects
>  1091 dynamically created routes"
>
> I appreciate some help.
> Tks a lot..

UGHD would seem to indicate that your box has been told (by ICMP
redirects) not to use your configured default gateway to reach a
specific host, but to use a different gateway instead. It is not
necessarily a bad thing.

My guess: either (a) there are two or more available gateways
upstream from you and they are legitimately collaborating to inform
you of the best (possibly only) routes to use to get to various
destinations, or (b) you are getting bad ICMP redirects from
somewhere, either accidental or intentional.

If you know that one or more of the indicated UGHD routes is just
plain wrong, that would be bad (maybe a spoofing or DoS attack of
some kind). If you are unsure whether the routes are valid or not,
contact the route provider upstream from you for clarification of
whether this is legitimate (and whether you have specified the
correct default gateway in the first place).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348