Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 11:01:14 +0800 (SGT)
From:      Wilson Tam <wilson@krdl.org.sg>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sound driver (pcm) block size must <= 2000 ?

Luigi,

I have a problem with the pcm sound driver for my creative card.  The
problem is when I try to issue the command:

        dd if=/dev/dsp of=record.raw bs=8000 count=1

The size of output file 'record.raw' always equal to 2000 rather than 8000
bytes specified by the 'bs'. However if I change the block size (bs)  to
<= 2000, the output file then has correct size. Is there any hints for
fixing?

The device line from 'dmesg' is:
pcm1 (SB16pnp <SB16 PnP> sn 0x0ffaa040)  at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
id 15

cheers,
wilson