Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:54:52 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@freebsd.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-tech-jp 2283] Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

> * [1] There are two changes to that message.  In conjunction with the recentl
> *     committed change that moved /usr/share/local/zh_TW.BIG5 to zh_TW.Big5,
> *     the "Big5" variant will be used in the new repository as well.
> *
> *     And after comments from the Japanese Doc. Proj., the directory for
> *     Japanese docs in the repository will be ja_JP.EUC-JP.
>
>Objection.  That is not a widely used name in Japan and has no basis
>in standards.  I assume you are referring to this document in the
>other mail:
>
>http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets
>
>which specifies MIME charsets.  MIME charsets have nothing to do with
>codeset names in locales.
>
>This will make us incompatible with almost everyone in Japan and the
>world, in particular, X/Open (think XFree86), which use
>ja_JP.eucJP.  See "Internationalisation Guide, Version 2 By X / Open"
>
>http://www1.fatbrain.com/asp/bookinfo/bookinfo.asp?theisbn=013353541X

Nik, if you want to name repository directories based on Unix locale
naming convention, please stick with known and common locale names
such as ja_JP.eucJP and ja_JP.SJIS.

As Satoshi has pointed out, the IANA document defines names for MIME
charsets.  These names has nothing to do with locale names.  We shouldn't
mix up these two conventions/standards.  Otherwise, we will have something
which is not conforming to anything.

Please use eucJP and SJIS rather than EUC-JP and ShiftJIS.

Kazu

PS. Please cc to FreeBSD-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org or directly write to
me.  I don't subscribe to doc@FreeBSD.org.