Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 14:47:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: swapoff code comitted.

:
:How about renaming swapon(8) into swapctl(8) after this function enhancemen=
:t?
:This name reflects it's purpose much better and would be consistent with the
:other BSDs.
:
:- Christian

    I think that's an excellent idea.  We would have to do some
    rewriting to add the expected options but it would not be too
    difficult to do.  Mainly just grunt work.  e.g. the NetBSD swapctl
    command is this:

     swapctl -A [-p priority] [-t blk|noblk]
      -D dumpdev
      -U [-t blk|noblk]
      -a [-p priority] path
      -c -p priority path
      -d path
      -l | -s [-k]
      -z
     swapon -a | path

    And the OpenBSD swapctl command is this:

     swapctl -A [-p priority] [-t blk|noblk]
     swapctl -a [-p priority] path
     swapctl -c -p priority path
     swapctl -d path
     swapctl -l | -s [-k]
     swapon -a | path

    We would simply ignore priority since we don't support it, nor would we
    need a -t option since we do not have buffered block devices any more
    or a -c option since, again, we do not have priorities.

    I would keep 'swapoff' in anycase.  It's an obvious command and like
    swapon could simply wind up being a hardlink to swapctl.

    I am not volunteering to do this, at least not right now.  I have too
    big a stack of things that still need to be committed, but if someone
    else would like to tackle this I think it would be a nice little project
    for a developer with some free time to waste and I would be happy to
    review and test the work.

						-Matt