Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:51:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        btman@ugcs.caltech.edu (Brian Tiemann)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS/showmount -e trouble

> 	Hi--
>
> 	I'm having a weird problem with NFS. I'm linking two FreeBSD
> machines together; the server is 2.2.6, the client is 2.2.7. My
> /etc/exports is as follows:
>
> /usr/www -maproot=root 131.215.86.106
> /home -maproot=root 131.215.86.106
>
> 	When I send a HUP to the mountd process, it seems to only read the
> *first* entry in the file; I can mount /usr/www but can't mount /home, for
> instance, and showmount -e gives the following:
>
> {root:45} showmount -e
> Exports list on localhost:
> /usr/www                           131.215.86.106
>
> 	If I reverse the order of the two lines in /etc/exports, it will
> enable /home but not /usr/www.
>
> 	I can enable one, mount it, then switch them around and enable the
> other, so I can mount both that way, but that seems to destabilize my
> system; I've had several system-wide lockups and crashes on the client
> machine when doing that.

Try:

/usr/www /home -maproot=root 131.215.86.106

> 	Oh, and if I put -alldirs into one of the /etc/exports entries, it
> will ignore that one as though I'd commented it out.
>
> 	Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

IIRC, -alldirs only works for the root of a filesystem.

The export mechanism is the only thing I liked better in Linux | SunOS | IRIX.
I had to patch mountd to do the following:

/var/spool/pcnfs -alldirs

when /var/spool/pcnfs is in the same filesystem as /   :-(

	-Andre