Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:55:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

>  	tcpdump gives me errors that it can't find /dev/bpf[0-4] as I
>  add them one at a time. After adding bpf4 (which I know shouldn't exist),
>  I get bpf4: device not configured.

sounds like you have BPFilters in the kernel, and you have a device that
supports a BPFilter. I assume you are running as root or have made the
/dev/bpf[0-3] sufficiently readable by group or by world. are their any
tcpdumps running in the background tying up the bpfs?

>  	It's running 2.2.6-RELEASE, and the only network I have is lo0, de0
>  and tun0. I'm running ppp -alias and am trying to get the Win98 machine to
>  go through, but it's not happening, hence tcpdump.
>
>  	I did test ppp -alias with my laptop, when I was running 2.2.5-Release.
>  I also remember tcpdump working on 2.2.5. I also have tcpdump working fine on
>  machine's here at work (with fxp and vx devices).

did you set the variable in /etc/rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"

or from the command line:

sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

(you can check the value from the command line by:

sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding

it should reply:

net.inet.ip.forwarding: 0
)

did you set the gateway on the Window9x machine to the IP of the
FreeBSD machine and also set the netmask correctly?

are you using the -alias command on the ppp command line?

if you have more problems with tcpdump or the net conection, just yell.

--mark.