Date:      Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:46:31 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        marrandy <marrandy@chaossolutions.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alphaserver 4100 stops om boot

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:21:36AM -0500, marrandy wrote:
> On Sunday 06 March 2005 10:24, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> > Possible, but that would mean it doesn't boot at all and not that it
> > stops during boot.
> > Even if that's the case there are several reasons why this could happen.
> > With an exact description one could easily give an exact answer.
>
> OK - please explain to me how I can retrieve the information with the exact
> description when it hasn't fully booted yet

This is real server hardware - you can log absolutely everthing.
For a full boot log you can attach a null modem cable to your serial.
However - I don't think this detail is required.
It should be sufficient if you at least describe the last line you see.
Or you could describe what you need to type in to continue.
A bad description is much better than a wild guess at which stage
things go wrong for you.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de