Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:48:10 +0100
From:      Milan Obuch <hackers@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbus questions

On Thursday 16 March 2006 14:57, Artem 'ZaZooBred' Ignatiev wrote:
> On Thu, 16/03/2006 at 15:06 +0300, Artem 'ZaZooBred' Ignatiev wrote:

> > Yes, I've got some clearance in how that <something>_if.m files are
> > written, but bktr driver is too complex for me to understand how the
> > things are done right now. I'll look at it again, though, maybe I could
> > understand the logic of how such things are done, when I could clearly
> > separate generic logic from implementation of particular hardware
> > driver.
>
> Looks like I'm totally newbie there. I've created small saa_if.m file,
> with CODE section, declaring two small debug functions, and two METHODS,
> DEFAULTing to that functions. Now I want to update Makefile so that
> typing ``make depend'' will produce .c and .h from the .m file. Looks
> like /sys/conf/kmod.mk lists all .m files by name, and deals with them
> on one-by-one basis, so I must manually insert all that awk -f ...
> invocations for these targets, am I right?

Not necessarily. You should put saa_if.m into kmod.mk, yes, but you should
actually somewhere use it.

> Or had I overlooked feature of automated codegeneration just in
> Makefile?

Could you show your Makefile? I think you are missing something there - like
saa_if.h and saa_if.c, maybe...

> P.S. I suppose, that it's worth to create some useful doc with skeleton
> bus driver, one dummy method, and child driver overriding that method.
> (As to me, the latest task is the easiest, at least I know how to do
> this, e.g., PCI device overriding probe method).

Any idea how? Maybe manpage patch? You know, every one welcomed :)

> P.P.S Hey, that's my birthday! So I would like a toast to all BSD
> developers, core team and hackers

Mnoga ljeta, mnoga ljeta, mnoga ljeta... :)

Regards,
Milan