Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:01:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building customized kernel without root passwd

Zhihui Zhang wrote to freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG:

> My professor plans to use FreeBSD for teaching purpose. We will allow
> students to build their kernel but do not want to give them root password.
> So it's better to find a way to let students build kernel under their own
> account, save the kernel on a floppy and then boot from the floppy.
>
> I am familiar with normal kernel build process.  But have not done the
> above before.  I hope someone can give me some suggestions and I will try
> them out.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> -Zhihui

It might be possible to do... (SHOULD be possible, though modifications to
the Makefile would have to be done to point the build away from
/usr/src/sys/compile.  The install option would also have to be modified
to point to the floppy... And watch it die when the write protect tab is
locked.  ;-)

I would STRONGLY recommend against this though, as it's really a false
sense of security... Heck, maybe even less... After booting from the
floppy (presumably in single user mode), the user can make arbitrary root
mounts of the system's hard drive (and any maproot=0 NFS exports allowed
by that machine!).  In fact, enabling floppy boots on public machines
where wide physical access is available is generally a Bad Idea.  Of
course, not giving the students root's password on that machine is also a
moot point, as a 'passwd root' from that boot flopply sort of avoids the
whole issue.  :-)

Most colleges give students responsibility for their own computers for
this sort of work.  Things tend to go awry when budding SysAdmins (with
strict lab deadlines, no less) are given root privileges.

It is possible to modify the 'mount' command to require some extra
authentication (like a password or challenge phrase) to perform root
mounts, but unless you regulate all floppies that enter and exit your lab,
there is nothing to stop users with home systems from rolling their own
mount from an existing FreeBSD system without such restrictions.

Basically, if the user has the permissions to build and boot from their
own kernel and/or suite of utilities (be it from a floppy or the local
drive), assume they have free reign over the entire system, and any
network resources root normally has access to.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2