Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <freebsd@bolingbroke.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Releases

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 101, Przemyslaw Brojewski wrote:
>
> > There's not such thing as self-documenting labels.
>
> Sure there are.  You see them everyday.  On example :push: on a door.

I'd say that's more of an instruction than a label.  But regardless of
such nit-picking, even if we can think of a self-documenting label, it's
going to be something simple enough to be contained within a small label.

The nature of the various branches and the stages of those branches pretty
much guarantee that you can't find a self-documenting label for those,
because they're just too complex.  (Feel free to prove me wrong, tho :-)

There are different situations under which I would run -RELEASE instead of
-STABLE, as well as other situations where I might run RELENG_3 instead of
RELENG_4.  But they're complex, requiring an understanding of each branch,
their stages, and so forth.  To understand which I need, it requires due
process in reading the documentation and following the mailing lists.

As has been said all too many times, if someone is NOT going to read the
documentation, they're going to have trouble, period.  Changing the labels
just to delay their troubles a bit longer doesn't really help anyone.

At best, if they _must_ change, I'd say change them to something totally
unrelated.  -STABLE becomes -MARS, -CURRENT becomes -JUPITER, etc.  Having
no inherent meaning would force (or am I too optimistic?) people to read
the docs to find the meaning rather than making likely flawed assumptions
as to what they mean.

But I'd rather they not change at all.  The current system _is_ logical,
even if it takes a bit of time to grok it.

Ken