Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:21:12 -0300 (ART)
From:      "Fernando P. Schapachnik" <fpscha@servidor1.cursosvirtuales.com.ar>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        fernando@schapachnik.com.ar, ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, fernando@cursosvirtuales.com.ar, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging kernel

> > [104]Recabarren:/var/crash>gdb -k
> > GNU gdb 4.18
> > Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
> > welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> > Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
> > There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for details.
> > This GDB was configured as "i386-unknown-freebsd".
> > (kgdb) exec-file kernel.2
> > (kgdb) core-file vmcore.2
> > kernel symbol `IdlePTD' not found.
> > (kgdb) where
> > No stack.
> > (kgdb) symbol-file kernel.debug
> > Reading symbols from kernel.debug...done.
> > (kgdb) where
> > No stack.
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> This looks like a mismatch between your installation and your gdb.
> Have you done a 'make world'?  You could also try:

I've upgraded from a 2.2.6 to 3.4 from CDs. I check and gdb is dated Dec 20, so I suppose it is up to date. I will try to debug it on a fresh instaled machine.

>  # gdb -k kernel.2 vmcore.2
>
> or more simply
>
>  # gdb -k *.2
>
> In this case, though, I don't think that will work.  I've seen this
> missing IdlePTD before, and it was some version mismatch thing.

Thanks and regards!

Fernando P. Schapachnik		-- Cursos Virtuales a través de Internet --
fernando@cursosvirtuales.com.ar	--   http://www.cursosvirtuales.com.ar   --