Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 10:46:11 +0400
From:      "Oleg Semyonov" <os@ktpk.dp.ua>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Latest /stand/sysinstall is broken?

Hello!

    One day ago I've cvsupped sources for RELENG_3 and 'make release'.
But after that I can't fresh-install this release on secondary
master IDE drive (first is primary master FAT32 drive where
release source was placed).

    After partitioning the drive, selecting distributions and answering
'YES' on latest question about possible data loss, sysinstall says:

Unable to make device node for /dev/wd2s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

Debug screen shows:

DEBUG: Found disk device named wd2
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd2 for root filesystems
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd2 for swap partitions
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd2 for root filesystems
DEBUG: Scanning disk wd2 for swap partitions
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 2s1b
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 2s1e
DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype 2s1f

And stop.

Release made from source cvsupped 10 days ago was OK.

Strange report about devtype *2s1b* (not wd2s1b)...
And when making release I see strange messages looks like
'Too large minor for device, not dumped'... May be it
is the reason?

Thanks!
Oleg Semyonov, os@altavista.net