Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:34:29 EST
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need More Info Re: 4.0-RELEASE Install

Hi:
Thanks for the reply, but still have a problem to resolve, and some
potential problems if I don't get RSAREF.

When I startx, I get a message ("could not lookup internet address for
<domain name of my machine>...").  I believe that the message come from
Gnome.  I checked my system and I found that my NIC seems to be configured
and available (as shown by ifconfig).  I have a 3Com905B, which shows up as
x10 in ifconfig.  My NIC is connected to a Netopia router and I use
concentric for DSL service.  I installed via ftp so I'm pretty certain that
on a system level, I should be able to 'ping' or use the NIC.

The question is do I need to change gnome configurations, start pppd or
named (I have inetd running) or some other service, or do I need to change
Gnome configuration settings (and isn't it a bug if they weren't set by
ports or sysinstall?)

I haven't seen anyone else complaining, so I figure that I need to start
named (or pppd.)  I tried to do this with /stand/sysinstall's postinstall
option but it didn't appear to work.  Is that a bug?

How can I start named from the system?  Do I just edit the configuration
file and type 'named' (from root)?  If so, can someone give me some pointers
on how to edit the named config file since it is a bit confusing.

Is there something else that I need to do that I am missing?

FYI: 'localization' needs better documentation.  I don't recall seeing any
explaination during the install.  Others have recently had trouble with
localization and I saw a fix for this where a set of 3 'set env..' (for
US-english key mappings, etc.) commands need to be added to the csh.cshrc
file.  If 'localization' in the install really does refers to site-specific
details, then this should be made clear.  If not, then it would appear that
sysinstall 'localization' is indeed responsible for installing localized
keymappings, etc, and the fact that it was missing is a bug. (I complained
about this after RC3)

Also: In my install I was not able to get RSAREF.  I have seen that several
people have had problems with the new rsa/crypto/security in 4.0, and I
would like to avoid that now, rather than stumble over it later.

I looked for the local and RSAREF distributions within /stand/sysinstall but
I didn't see them.  (As above, I also tried to enable named from
/stand/sysinstall but apparently I couldn't.)  How can I do get RSAREF (I
already know the fix for localization) from within the system itself?

Lastly, I'd like to clarify the issue of Current v. Stable.  With RELENG_4
release tag, I have seen 4.0 described as the "4.0-stable branch." I have
also heard that 4.0 is very stable, much more so than 3.0 was, etc. and I am
not using the box in a production environment.  Even so, since 4.0 is fairly
new, I figure that it may experience a time when CVSup-ing results in
problems.  I'd rather keep that to a minimum (if I was at a level where I
could deal with such problems and  had the patience and time, I would be
tracking 5.0-CURRENT).  I know that I am accepting *some* risk by tracking
RELENG_4 but I would like to reduce that as much as possible.  Do I simply
CVSup, then examin the mailing lists for problems for a few days, and if no
major problems are reported, then make and install a new kernel from that (2
or 3 day old) CVSup?

John