Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:33:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        small@haas.berkeley.edu, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        david.small@usa.net
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.2 Installation Lockup

---"David B. Small" <small@haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> My hardware:
> Dell Dimension XPS D266 (Pentium II/266MHz, w/AGP slot)
> 64 MB SDRAM
> IBM DHEA 36480 (a 6 GB EIDE hard drive...I know...I should have gone
SCSI)
> ATAPI Toshiba CDROM Drive (XM-6102B)
> ZIP drive (which, surprisingly, the kernel recognizes)
> Matrox Millenium II AGP video card (which there appear to be alpha
drivers
> for for XFree86, but I'm less concerned with Xwindows, than with just
> getting this system up)
>
> What's currently on the system:
> 3 Partitions formatted: C=2.44GB (NTFS), D=2.44GB (NTFS), E=1.11GB
(FAT)
> Ideally, I'd like to leave C and D, install FreeBSD on the 3rd
partition,
> and use NT's boot manager to boot the system.
> So far, I'm able to boot from CDROM (or from a boot-floppy, either
way),
> the system permits me to make kernel config changes (which I don't),
> proceeds to recognize pretty much all of my storage devices, and then
> hangs... with a solid square cursor in the lower left of the screen.

While installing you can check the console on screen one Alt+F1 to see
what is being done.

> Now I tried to consolidate/synthesize info from my "The Complete
FreeBSD"
> (which seems focused on 2.1.X), the CDROM I've got (2.2.2), some
stuff I
> pulled out of the WWW (from the FreeBSD Handbook and  FAQ, which are
> associated with 2.2.5, I think).
>
> In any case, I have several questions:
>
> 1) Is there any chance I'm going to succeed in installing:
>      a) from this CD-ROM drive?
>      b) to this EIDE hard drive?
>      c) to the partition that I've got (which is clealy beyond the
first
> 1024 cylinders)?

Can you clarify the drive/partition selection and disklabel entries
you are using.

> 2) Do I need to make any kernel config changes when booting?

What do you mean when booting? You mean when installing?
It's a good idead. You basically take out support for crap that is not
in your computer in the first place. But it is not required.

> 3) Assuming that I *do* successfully get FreeBSD installed on the
right
> partition, can I, in fact,
> be dropped into Unix before rebooting, so that I can copy the first
sector
> to a floppy (dd), and
> copy that to my first partition, then set up NT's boot loader to
boot onto
> that?

OK that went completely over my head. Be dropped into un*x from where
before rebooting?