Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 20:16:30 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Eric Brunner <brunner@world.std.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sony VAIO and CDROM

hm
basically this looks to me like the toshiba 40x cdrom withj sony 16bit
atapi controller pcmcia card. as this is a stupid ata controller, you
just have to recognize NinjaATA when you use 3.3pao.
i do not know the status of attachment code of the ata device in
-current, some while ago it would not dynamically attach an ata? to the
controller wehn the pcmcia slot was going power high.
what works with these cdrom is boot time recognotion (i did NOT try this
with freebsd), when the card is plugged in during cold boot of the
machine it gets attached by the bios at port 0x180/0x386 and some irq
the driver code should probe when initialising
/k

Warner Losh(imp@village.org)@Fri, May 19, 2000 at 04:57:58PM -0600:
> In message <200005182158.RAA29816@world.std.com> Eric Brunner writes:
> : I know this has been asked and answered previously, but I can't find the
> : cannonical how-to and I'd appreciate it if someone would help.
> :
> : h/w: PGC-505TX
> : s/w: FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE (GENERIC)
> : c/d: PCGA-CD5
> :
> : I've not enjoyed the use of the CDROM with 2.2.8, and 3.3, and my goal is
> : to go -CURRENT on this laptop.
>
> -current supports the good cdrom.  I don't know if this cdrom is the
> good sony one, or the brain dead one.
>
> I use a microtech cdrom on my 505ts all the time.
>
> Warner

> A Puritan is someone who is deathly afraid that someone, somewhere, is
> having fun.
http://www.webmonster.de http://www.apache.de http://www.splatterworld.de
(NIC-HDL KR433/KR11-RIPE)