Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 03:13:06 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdchat@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: damn it, limux strikes again...

> I think you're overstating the case.  Linus isn't the typical Finn,
> and he wasn't like this when he was unknown.

only non typical thing for a finn he's done is the os.

but the attitudes, that's normal finn... uh, i should know, i have
a 28 years long continuing experience on that one...

and based on the knowledge from knowing his "friends" back in 92-95
the attitude about "linux saves the world" and so on, he's gotten
that too from the beginning, unless ofcourse those people invented it
themselves, which i find hard to believe. he may have not presented
it quite like that way, but he sure didnt slow down fanatics either...

i probably saw/met linus several times back then, but since i never
was introduced to him, and was in no way interested in meeting/finding
out what he is about, i wouldnt know... i met a relatively lots of people.

(after all, helsinki is a small city, and my school was the "next school"
 from his, the linux people in my school were his direct friends, and
 all the students in the city go more or less to same places...)

back then, my school's admin chose freebsd, and i kinda "followed" him,
and to many people, running freebsd instead of linux was like screaming
communists slogans in the states in 1950s... they were determined to
"prove" their superrior "free" operating system... it was all about
"how dare you use something else when you have a _finnish_ product?"
"that can not be as good as..." "you cant do this and that, and that
either..." trust me, you dont want to know about it.

yes, yes, i'm ranting, but this _is_ chat, and my "first contact" and
first impressions with linux people was not a "friendly" from their
side... but, i used to date a girl who ran linux and we did agree on
not talking about OS, nor trying to convert the other, it worked.

=)

but i'll shut up now, probably should've been shut up...

> Greg

mickey