Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 23:23:39 -0400
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange problem with MacOS 9 and isc-dhcpd

I realize this is probably not really a FreeBSD question, but I was =
hoping
someone had seen this before.

=20

I am running isc-dhcpd 3.0.1.r14_6 on a FreeBSD 4.11-REL machine. This =
box
also serves as the primary gateway router and firewall (and general =
"network
services" machine).

=20

All of my *nix and Windows machines get IP's just fine from the DHCP =
server,
but for some reason, my G3 Mac running Mac OS 9.2.2 won't get its =
reserved
address.

=20

Although I use DHCP, I have assigned each machine (MAC address) a fixed =
IP &
DNS entry. The DHCP server is to simplify maintenance. So, for example, =
the
file server uses DHCP, but is always mapped to 192.168.1.2. The Mac,
however, is either refused, or refuses to take its preset address, and =
ends
up obtaining one in the "guest" pool.

=20

I can upgrade to Mac OS X.2, but have been hesitant, as this is an older
machine with only built-in video. I also hate to sink any more money =
into
such an old system. I could just statically map the address, but that =
would
defeat the purpose of the DHCP server - which was to avoid hardcoding
network settings.

=20

Is there a way to sweet talk either the DHCP server, or the Mac, into =
taking
the reserved address?

=20

Thanks!