Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 01:55:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> Most new environments will probably use ssh, or rsh with extra
> Kerberos stuff which implies some knowledge and skill again, and
> having to set up Kerberos on the machine anyway (I don't think we have
> a way to customize that from sysinstall, do we?)

Until we have the ability to install local configuration packages that
frob stuff in /etc and install krb5.conf, popping up a dialog asking for a
kadmin password and creating a ticket file isn't going to work very well.

Is there any reason all of this security stuff can't be relegated to a
package?  Seems like it would be much better than constantly hacking on
sysinstall and the ability to have interactive packages does exist I
believe.

*shrug*

I think this discussion fails to consider the ability of the average BOFH
to ignore what everyone here thinks and just do stuff their own way.

Optimize for the Linux and Windows weenies; they're the ones that are
going to be dealing with the install procedure the most.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |