Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:22:11 -0400
From:      Paul Boehmer <pboehmer@seidata.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot login NIS clients

  I currently have three FBSD 3.2-stable machines that I am trying to setup
NIS on (1 server, 2 clients).  I have setup the server and the clients to
the point where I can ypmatch, ypcat all NIS Maps from the client machines
without any problems.  ypwhich shows correct server bind.  I can even go as
far as to su <nis user>  from the clients.  The only thing I cannot do is
actually login to a client machine as a nis user, I can only login as a
local user.  The home directories are mounted via NFS Share and all
owner/group permissions are correct.

I have the following files configured on the client machines:

/etc/group has 	+:*::
/etc/passwd has	+:::::::::	(using vipw)
/etc/hosts		+::
/etc/host.conf	nis uncommented and moved last\

ypbind is running with no flags.

Is there any configuration that needs to be done with login.access or
login.conf
Or is there something else that I am missing?  I really appreciate any
information.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Boehmer
SEI Data Inc.