Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 07:42:40 -0500
From:      Patrick Foley <pfoley@earthlink.net>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, Spades <spades@galaxynet.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: top: nlist failed

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 06:17:14AM -0500, Joe Oliveiro wrote:
> Dont you need to do  'make installworld' before you compile a new kernel
> since  you want the new kernel to be compiled with the latest system
> files.

No.

What Kevin posted ...

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > As other have reported, userland and the kernel are out of sync. See
> > /usr/src/UPDATING for details on this. Loosely:
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel KERNEL=your_kernel_name
> > make installkernel KERNEL=yourkernel_name
> > make installworld
> > mergemaster
> >
> > The final two items should be done in single user mode followed by a
> > reboot.  And always check the UPDATING file for other possible
> > steps/gotchas any time you cvsup.

is the right way, comes straight from the authoritative document, and
he even provides a pointer to it!

You may note that the problem Kevin addresses here is a userland
and kernel being out of synch. What do you suppose might happen
if you did your install=world= and booted on the =old= kernel? Sure,
you're only rebooting to build a new kernel, but until you fix things,
your userland and kernel would be out of synch! And that could be
disastrous, depending on =how= out of synch.

The method Kevin describes avoids this problem (you can find some clues
on how in src/Makefile.inc1, which is interesting reading in general).
Consider, for starters, that the "latest system files" =are= on your
computer after a buildworld, but only the world-builders (you and
make) know where they are. Unless you have a really unusual path.

In sum, either: understand how "make world" (a lovely bit of
engineering) really works, or follow the instructions to the
letter. (Maybe we could abbreviate that as "RTFs/U" -- "Read the
'Friendly' src/UPDATING"!) -- And that goes for a lot more than
"make world"...

Pat