Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:41:46 +0200
From:      mark <mark@itsunix.uwc.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Firewall 1 problems

 Hello ......

I really require some help with the following ......
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

On the 7 Jan' 2000 our firewall started giving some problems,  rather bad ones.

We use user authorization to give students and Lecturers access to the internet.
Suddenly without any errors the authentication didn't work anymore.

If you Authenticate, or telnet to port 259 the firewall requests that you
enter a username and password.
In the past when you logged on via telnet:259 you were given the following
menu:
1. Standard Sign-On
2. Sign-off
3. Specific Sign-on

This no longer happens ..... this is what I get:

Trying 155.238.4.1...
Connected to ctfw.ctech.ac.za.
Escape character is '^]'.
User: 7105
Firewall-1 password: *****
User 7105 authenticated by Firewall-1 authentication
Connection closed by foreign host.

It says that you have authentication, but no traffic is allowed through.
If you Authenticate using you web browser it just replies that "The
document contains no data"

We are running Squid on port 3128. At the moment no one can access the
internet.

I have gone through the manuals and everything seems perfect, so I am
stuck.
I am looking into reinstalling the entire system if I don't get it to work
soon, as the Technikon is starting up on Monday.
Please email me if you have any information that could even be remotely
useful.

Thank you for your help
Mark