Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 18:58:00 -0400
From:      "Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM" <tforrest@shellworld.net>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ARRRRGH *WHAT* Am I doing wrong with IPFW, NAT and PPP?

I've been at this too long.  I must say, it is *MUCH* easier to setup 2
NICs to do NAT than it is with dialup.

I am following the manual in
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html for using
IPFW for NAT and PPP.

I can get the FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE box to dial out using "ppp" then
"dial" (i do not want PPP dialing on demand).  The FBSD box can access
the net just fine.

I have ep0.  ep0 is 10.0.1.254.  I have dhpcd running on ep0.  Devices
connected to ep0 get their IP addresses.  Devices connected to ep0 can
ping 10.0.1.254.  But they cannot get out to the net at large.

All of the required items such as ipdivert, etc are added to the
kernel.  tun0 is the active device when using "ifconfig -a"

Any and all ideas are welcome.  I sure am about to go insane.

Contents of rc.conf:
##General Network Config
hostname="pressure.dyndns.org"
network_interfaces="ep0 tun0 lo0"
ifconfig_ep0="inet 10.0.1.254"
ifconfig_tun0=""
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
inetd_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
sendmail_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"

##NATd Stuff
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall="OPEN"
firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="tun0"
natd_flags="-dynamic"

##PPP Setup Information
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="AUTO"
ppp_profile="default"

### Network Time Services options: ###
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_program="ntpd"
xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"

Contents of rc.firewall
/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via tun0

**other parts chopped out*

Contents of ppp.conf
# PPP Configuration

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set device /dev/cuaa1
 set speed 115200
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNE$
 set redial 3 10
 disable pred1
 deny pred1
 disable lqr
 deny lqr
 set authname ausername
 set authkey apassword
 set phone 123-4567
 set timeout 600

Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM -  tforrest@shellworld.net
http://www.shellworld.net/~tforrest
And now, its time, for some useless, bandwidth wasting words of wisdom:
"Do your parents *know* you are Ramones?" - Ms. Togar

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: B9ED C46F C92E 0101  4B4C BFC1 907C A0D0