Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 22:41:42 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

Now that I've vented my spleen all over Kevin, I'll refute directly
a couple of the points he is mistaken on:

Atipa wrote:
>         * That Microsoft disable their browser, and _all_available_means

Nope, wrong.  What they asked for is that the browser component, since it is
an application, be installed separately.  They can put it on the CD-ROM, they
can install all of the DLLs, they just can't stick their browser on your
system when you just asked to install the operating system.

>         * If MS does include a browser, they must also provide all
>           competing products as well. Can you say horse<dung>? That is

If they're going to provide a 'free' browser, they must provide copies of all
free browsers, or at least a reasonable selection, on the distribution media.
Again, they're protecting the consumers right to choose.

>         * MS must modify their "Window Manager" so that OEMs and
>           competitors can customize their visual.

No, no, no.  Microsoft isn't allowed to yank Compaq's Win95 license if
Compaq wants to add the Compaq logo to the STARTUP SCREEN.  Or add a Compaq
channel to the IE channel bar.  Or remove the #!!#@%$%# channel bar.

As I said before, go read the briefs, THEN form your opinions.  Stop
basing your opinions on what Microsoft's PR people have been publishing
in PC Week.