Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 12:39:43 -0400
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>
To:        <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.2" not found

I have no *ssl* files in /usr/lib, /usr/libexec, /usr/local/lib, or
/usr/local/libexec. I have manually compiled and installed OpenSSL 0.9.6a
from ftp.openssl.org, and have attempted to re-install FreeBSD twice now
over FTP. I have been installing: bin, manpages, compat4x, crypto, and
local. Am I just missing the right distro? Or is the Release broken or
something? Where are the ssl libraries? I am attempting to install/configure
apache+ssl, (from the packages), this is what I get:

mx2# httpsdctl configtest
/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.2" not found
mx2#

I have sent a few messages back and forth now from questions@freebsd.org,
but someone had suggested I send this question here. So here I am. If anyone
has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them?
    I noticed that libssl.so.1 is supposed to be a symbolic link, (as
dictated by various threads I found searching the mailing lists), but the
file it would link to isn't even there?

Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com
http://Nathan.Vidican.com/