Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 16:35:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, richard@harlequin.co.uk, freebsd-install@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Installation" and "upgrade"

On Tue, 26 Sep 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Besides having to deal with a boatload of howls from folks who lost their
> > files because they were told they could upgrade without the reinstall,
> > how are you going to troubleshoot future reported problems if you aren't
> > even sure of the underlying FS ?  I don't like this idea ...
>
> The underlying fs hasn't changed - just the disklabels.

See David's reply ... The idea is, if you have to ask, then you are
really likely to fall into the category of someone who shouldn't do it
anyways.  What with more and more people hacking into stuff to support
multiple disks, having to deal with two different dislabels, and not
being sure which one is there, seems to be asking for trouble.

I'll let you decide, if you say to folks there's a way to upgrade without
reinstalling.  I think the level of support needed is gonna rise way up.
Especially when 2.1 comes out, and folks want to upgrade.  Maybe my way
isn't totally true, but it might save FreeBSD getting a bad rep when
folks who are underqualified to try this screw things up, and blame us
for it.  You'll have to agree, I think, the reinstall route is WAY safer,
altho hard on folks.

> 					Jordan

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |