Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 1998 08:34:43 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyesf@newsguy.com>
To:        "Martin Cracauer" <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        "Advocacy List" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and KDE

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998 01:19:36 -0700 (PDT), Alex wrote:

>> Well, the questionable license is still the weak point. Redhat doesn't
>> include qt/KDE with their Linux distribution anymore, because they
>> think using GPL code (KDE code is GPL) on top of qt violates the GPL.

Trying to get back to the topic of the list... :-)

Today (and for the short foreseable future) QT is free as long as the
source is distributed.
For users just learning Unix, they don't care about licenses. I would
think they care about price and quality. KDE is a 1.0 release, but it
is usable. Many new users dont' understand X is just a program and
KDE is just another program. They see the whole thing as a package
and that is what they judge.

We could present KDE as something to try for new users. A starting
point.
I think may help FreeBSD in that it would improve the experience new
users would have with the OS.

The only drawback I see is that we would need to explain users that
KDE is independent of FreeBSD so if and when they have problems with
it, they don't think it is a FreeBSD problem.