Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:12:19 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        jmanley@metronet.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org, Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: AHA 1542 CP SCSI Configuration problems

In message <200006111234.NAA01835@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org>, Brian Somers
writes:
> Does disabling the PnP probe make it work (patch attached) ?  It
> does for me - Warner (cc'd) already knows about this.

Interestingly enough, I have two machines at home with 1542's (1542B
and 1542CF) running 4.0-stable as of May 27 @ 04:15 PDT without
problems or SCSI patches.  I've also run 4.0-stable as of April 21 and
May 19 on these systems without SCSI problems.

The originator of this thread also mentioned that he tried a 2940 with
the same results.  My desktop system at work has a 2940U2W (aic7895)
and one of the machines at home, the one with the 1542CF, also has a
2940UW (aic7880):  They work like a charm.

Have you used a previous version of 4.0-stable and has it worked?  If
it has not, I suspect that there must be something configuration
specific, as pnp.c, the module you've posted a patch for, hasn't
changed since October 99, e.g. the stock-out-of-the-box pnp.c is what I
am using.  If a previous version of 4.0-stable has worked for you and
-stable as of now doesn't, then it means that something has changed
since May 27 and I must consider myself a stakeholder in this too.

The other thing worth mentioning, when I applied a Y2K patch to the
BIOS of my P120, I had the same problems you discuss while running 3.4.
 It just wouldn't boot and the 2940UW driver produced messages as
discussed in the original note in this thread.  Backing off the Y2K
BIOS patch the system works just fine.  (There's a LOT more to this
story but that's the bottom line).

Rather than posting config files or portions thereof and dmesg output
from the three machines that work to this list, if you want to compare
configurations, we can do that offline.  I can send you my three or you
can send me yours.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC